You’ve surely heard something about DevOps, maybe even tried to implement it in your company or plan to do it. If you are interested in DevOps services and how to choose a DevOps consulting company, keep reading.
So, what are DevOps services and what can you receive from them? DevOps services allow to highly increase the efficiency of the software development process, make it easier, more cost-efficient and more predictable.
What DevOps services really include? There is a strong myth that DevOps is a combination of Developers and IT Operations. Sometimes Quality Assurance engineers are also included. Thus, some part of business owners thinks DevOps consulting company will somehow reorganize teams in the company and processes will change.
Let’s describe DevOps consulting services to dispel this myth. It is important to note, the set of services might be different in every individual case but mostly they include the following:
- Assessment and planning. The first step is the assessment of the current system, of course. DevOps engineers need to understand what the system includes at the moment, what bottlenecks it has and how to deal with them. Planning is a very important step for DevOps implementation because a good strategy will bring great results.
- System redesigning and cloud migration. DevOps methodology works with cloud computing, thus some systems might need redesigning for DevOps implementation, especially, some legacy systems. Also, if you’re not working in the cloud, it would be better to migrate to it. This step will give you great benefits in the future because you will have the opportunity to update your IT infrastructure without additional preparations.
- Creating a CI/CD pipeline. Below we will talk more about CI/CD. This is the main DevOps principle that provides continuous improvement of the system and the ability to deliver the product to end-users as fast as possible.
- Work with teams. DevOps provides both the newest tools like Kubernetes and Terraform and team cohesiveness on the project. Thus said, it is very important to work with teams that develop the project.
- Monitoring. DevOps methodology implies continuous monitoring. It means, DevOps engineers always look for bottlenecks, fix them and after that develop the system and make it better continuously.
How does DevOps methodology work?
We’ve mentioned some parts of DevOps services, so let’s discuss them in more detail. There are four main parts:
- Continuous Integration (CI). The main goal of DevOps is reducing time-to-market. The idea is to make changes and updates and deliver them to the end-users as fast as possible. CI allows making it real. Code is written by small batches that are convenient for testing and deployment. Thus, you don’t need to wait a lot for updates.
- Continuous Testing. This is the next logical step. New code needs testing and DevOps automates this process. As a result, the code is developed and tested continuously.
- Continuous Delivery (CD). As we say DevOps provides CI/CD pipeline. This is the main DevOps principle. It includes automatization of all the development processes and fast software delivery and deployment.
- Continuous monitoring. As we said above it is necessary to monitor your software development process for further improvements.
Final thoughts: do you need DevOps consulting services?
As you can see, the DevOps methodology impacts software development very positively. So, DevOps implementation is a beneficial decision for IT companies. You should choose between DevOps consulting company and Managed Service Provider (MSP). The fist will just make a strategy for you, while the second will also do the implementation.
Anyway, pay attention to the future partner’s rating and reviews. Thus, you’ll have great changes without losses.